Chicken Caesar Salad-Pancetta-Quail Egg
Serves 4 -
- 2 free range chicken breasts skin on
- 500g/ 1lb 4 oz unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- Sea salt and black pepper
- ½ small white loaf of bread, crusts removed
- 8 quails eggs
- 8 crispy pancetta slices
- 2 baby gem/romaine lettuce hearts, trimmed
- 8 fresh marinated white anchovies
- Parmesan shavings
- 3 medium cage free egg yolks
- 4 anchovy fillets in oil drained
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 capers
- 100g/4 oz grated parmesan cheese
- 375ml light olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp warm water if needed
- 1 tbsp yogurt
Wrap the bread in a freezer bag and freeze for an hour until firm. Remove the skins from the chicken and fry separately. Heat a pan and add the butter add the garlic, thyme and seasoning, turn off the heat and infuse for 30 minutes, remove 3-4 tablespoons of the butter for the toasts.
Bring the butter back to a low simmer and add the cooked chicken breasts and poach gently for 30 minutes, until just cooked leave to rest in the butter. Remove the bread from the freezer and slice thinly place on a baking sheet and brush with the reserved butter and bake for 5-10 minutes until crisp and dry.
For the dressing blend all ingredients except the oil in a blender until smooth. Continue to blend and slowly add the oil. If it gets to thick, add a few drops of water. Season well. Cook the quail’s eggs for 2.5 mins and peel and reserve. Fry the pancetta until crisp.
Separate the lettuce leaves and toss in a little dressing
Remove the chicken and pat dry with a towel.
Slice and arrange chicken on the lettuce, place the remaining ingredients on and over the lettuce, finish with parmesan shavings, chervil and fresh ground pepper.